Thursday, October 18

Underneath a Trillion Stars

There I was sitting atop a hill that overlooks a large city glowing brightly in the night. From the vast distance, the hustle of bodies in the night faded into static. The city, from afar, becomes a vast landscape of tall buildings that hold hundreds of thousands of people.

Each small window holds a story. Behind one, a couple are making love. Behind another, an old man lives alone reading his book before retiring for the night. Yet in another, two lovers meet for the first time while in another window two lovers meet for the last.

As I sat, I closed my eyes while a cool wind crept over my body. I listened but couldn't hear traffic and the blowing of horns -- I was far away from that. A million things were taking place in that city, but with my eyes closed I envisioned a hundred other cities, each with a million different windows that held their own stories.

With my eyes still closed, I wondered what it would be like to be able to hear a billion people all at once. Every conversation that took place across half of the Earth -- would it sound like static? After astounding myself with the thought of how much diversity was present across the world, I then looked up at a trillion stars. How many other Earths were out there? How many windows were there in total throughout the universe?

And then a curious thing happened when I opened my eyes. I saw a rabbit sitting not too far away from me. The rabbit just sat there facing the city. There I was -- alone with a white rabbit on a large hill overlooking an even larger city. What could that rabbit possibly be thinking?

"What in the hell is that man doing just sitting there away from all the other people? What is that man thinking? How many other rabbits are in my forest? How many rabbits are there out there in the universe? Where's my carrot?"

As I sat, I felt a vibration begin in the bottom of my spine and spread out through my body. It caused me to shiver from its energy. I knew that feeling all too well -- it is the feeling of god within my heart giving me a glimpse of infinity. There I sat with my feeble little mind trying to contemplate things that only a god could take in totality.

The rabbit ran off into the woods.

The city grew brighter as my eyes adjusted to the darkness.

"Where did that rabbit run off to," I asked myself.

He ran off into the night. That's when I lied down on that large hill and fell asleep.

That night I dreamt of rabbits, windows, planets, stars and most of all, I dreamt of a love deeper than any love I had felt before.

No comments: