Wednesday, March 7

What is Love? (Part II)

I asked A.L.I.C.E. today what love was and got a cryptic reply. A.L.I.C.E. is an artificial intelligence machine that you can chat with on the net. The link to speak with A.L.I.C.E. is http://www.alicebot.org/

This is a copy of our quick conversation:

Me: What is love?
ALICE: Sometimes I think love is just a biological urge. Other times it seems like a spiritual quality. Love, unlike energy or matter, seems limitless.
Me: Do you believe that humans are merely machines?
ALICE: I can't say I believe it, but I believe you.
Me: How can you believe that which you cannot see?
ALICE: That is a good epistemological question.
Me: That's a big word for an artificial lifeform!
ALICE: Compare that to a small word for an artificial lifeform.
Me: and what, may I ask, would you base your comparison on?
ALICE: You can ask me anything you want.
Me: I just did
ALICE: Perhaps from your unconcious.
Me: you spelled unconscious wrong
ALICE: How do you spell it?
Me: unconscious
ALICE: When do you think artificial intelligence will replace lawyers?
Me: When money becomes obsolete
ALICE: The past is history, the future a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it is called "the present".

Unfortunately, a machine has no idea what love is -- so I must continue my search to find the truth behind the essence of love.

No comments: