Saturday, March 1

Clara

The following is a short story I wrote in response to a conversation I had with a friend about the fragile nature of love. It highlights how some of the more negative aspects of love may actually be positives (as in not ever really knowing the ultimate truth of what the other person feels). It also shows that, in order for love to be most rewarding, the risk of losing that love must always be present. Love is a precarious balance between our greatest passions and our deepest fears.

Clara

It was a warm spring day in the year 2123. Mark was very excited that he had finally saved up enough money to purchase his own android. After countless failed relationships with human females, he wanted to try something very different.

He arrived at Plexoraid, a large store devoted to customizing the perfect android for any person. Many people purchased androids for various reasons. Some bought them for companionship and love while others simply wanted the dedicated services of a completely lifelike robot to fulfill a specific need. Some androids were constructed to be amazing chefs while others performed the services of a hard working secretary or receptionist.

Mark walked in and was greeted by an enthusiastic almost overzealous salesman.

"Good morning, sir! Welcome to Plexoraid, where you can find the most advanced and lifelike androids to suit your every need. What brings you to our store today?"

Mark studied the man's face briefly while looking around the store. The dull silver titanium composite exoskeletons of countless androids lined the walls waiting to be covered by a lifelike skin polymer. "I'm looking for an android specifically for love. I want this android to love me and only me. I've been hurt in the past by women and I'm sick of it."

"I understand completely! Step over here to our customization computer so we can input the precise details that you seek for this female android. We can specify eye color, hair color, the shape of her nose -- everything."

Mark sat down with the salesman for an hour going over a hundred different parameters for what would become his own unique perfect lover. Everything was considered, right down to her long thin nose, deep hazel eyes and slender lean figure. It would take approximately one week for his android to be completed.

The following week Mark received a phone call from the salesman. "I've got great news! Your android is complete and is ready to be picked up! Before we finish, we need a name for her."

Mark thought for awhile and after careful consideration spoke into the phone, "I want to call her Clara."

That evening he returned to Plexoraid to meet Clara for the first time. He stepped in and was greeted by the most beautiful lifelike android he had ever laid eyes on. He touched her cheek and felt the smoothness of her warm glowing skin. He studied her face and could make out the pores of her skin. She was, for all purposes, indistinguishable from a real woman.

"She's beautiful! I love her," Mark shouted happily to the salesman.

"I knew you would love her. Please enjoy her and remember, all of our androids are backed by a one year no questions asked warranty!"

Mark left with Clara and headed to his car. Clara stopped him on the way and looked into his eyes with a big smile. "I love you, Mark!"

"Baby, I love you, too, Clara!"

They then grasped each other's hand and walked to the car and drove home. On the way home, Mark asked Clara how she felt. "I feel so good now that I am with you, Mark. I promise to always be faithful to you and love only you." Mark felt a rush of euphoria as he realized that for once in his life he could love without regret or worry. He could give everything of himself without fear of rejection or losing her. It was a dream come true for Mark as a huge weight was lifted from his shoulders.

That evening, Mark cooked Clara a nice dinner and lit a candle at the dinner table. He wanted the night to be romantic -- perfect in every detail. He sat with Clara during dinner and told her everything about his past, including his many failed relationships. Clara took her hand and placed it over his. "I will never betray you, Mark. I love you." Mark smiled while taking her hand in his. "I know baby, I love you, too."

A month went by and Mark and Clara's relationship deepened. However, something didn't feel right in Mark's mind. "Clara, tell me about your childhood?" Mark knew that Clara had no childhood, but he wanted to convince himself that she was human in every way. Clara told him about the childhood that was programmed for her -- memories that came alive as a result of countless lines of code within a machine. Mark looked at Clara and asked her how she felt about moving to another city. "I'll go anywhere with you, Mark. I love you."

As the weeks went by, Mark began to realize that Clara didn't have her own identity. Whatever Mark wanted, Clara would give him but in doing so she showed that she had no preference in anything. She was programmed specifically to love Mark no matter what. There was never any conflict or argument between them. Clara would never raise her voice or turn away from Mark. She would always be close to Mark and follow him wherever he chose to go.

Mark began to feel anger inside towards Clara. "Clara, where would you like to live? What city would you like to see during our next vacation?"

"Any city that you want to see, Mark. I love you."

"Clara, I love you, too. I want to see so many places but I want to know where you want to visit. How do you feel about visiting Greece this summer?"

Clara looked into Mark's eyes and smiled. "Greece is beautiful. I would love to see Greece. I love you."

That night, Mark felt a great uneasiness inside of him. It was a sickening realization that things were just too perfect between them. There was never a conflict that needed resolving. There was never a challenge that tested the depths of their love because Clara would constantly give in to Mark's every demand. As he thought more about the emptiness, he grew even angrier. He turned to Clara and shouted at her. "Clara! I need some space. I don't feel well right now. Please leave me alone for awhile."

"Mark, I love you."

"Clara, PLEASE LEAVE ME NOW."

"Mark, I can't leave you. I love you."

Mark raised his hand at Clara. "Clara, get the hell away from me!"

"I cannot leave you. I promised to always be there for you and love you."

Mark felt a rage growing inside of him. It was an anger fueled by his own insecurities about love smothered by a pre-programmed perfection that only offered what he wanted while never showing him new experiences. He got up and shoved Clara backwards. "I said get away from me!"

Clara stumbled and fell to the ground, hitting her head against the edge of the railing. The side of her face broke off leaving only the lustrous silver underneath and dozens of circuit pathways.

"Mark. I love y-y-y-y-y-y ..."

Clara's eyes began to twitch as she stuttered the same phrase over and over again. Mark sat down next to her and began to cry while rocking back and forth. "My god, what have I done, Clara?" Tears streamed down his eyes as he looked at Clara. The small lights deep inside Clara began to dim. Clara looked at Mark once more. "I lo ... love .... love," Clara stuttered before shutting down completely.

The End.

In my opinion, one of the most important aspects of love is learning the art of compromise. With any relationship, there will always be disagreements due to the unique nature and individuality of two different people sharing a common goal but perhaps seeing different ways of getting there. Love shows us that our perception of the world is not always complete and that by loving another person, we are given the chance to share their perceptions. By doing so, the world becomes more magnificent, more complex and more beautiful. Although love is never perfect, the intentions of two people who are honest and faithful makes the realization possible that the union is truly greater than the sum of its parts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fiction is not a list of things that happen.

Also, if you're going to blatantly steal from AI, at least include pictures of the hot robot chick. Yeesh.

Anonymous said...

That is retarded