Sunday, May 6

Feeding the Homeless

Tonight was an exciting night. I went out to Baltimore and hit a few bars and clubs and had a great time mingling with some very beautiful women. Amazingly, that was not the highlight of my night. That occasion was reserved for after last call when I left the last bar and headed to my car.

I decided to stop by the store to grab a Gatorade and some peanuts to rehydrate from a long night of dancing and sweating. On the way to the store, I passed a man who was covered in a blanket.

"Hey, are you hungry," I asked him.

"Yes."

I went into the store and got my stuff and proceeded to get him two large hotdogs and a bottle of water. Afterwards I went back outside and gave him the food and sat down next to him.

"Do you mind if I eat with you," I asked.

"No. Nobody ever does," he replied.

I sat down next to the homeless man and drank my blue Gatorade while asking him some questions. I asked him how he ended up on the streets and if he had any family.

"I don't got no family, man. My mom died when I was 5. My dad left me when I was a little kid. I don't got no family at all. I've been out on the streets since I lost my job over 20 years ago. I don't got nobody, man. I starve most nights and go through the trash cans to find food. "

I thought about what he had said and it really got to me. It hit me right in my heart.

"Well, whenever I come down to the city, I'll buy you food whenever I see you. I'm sorry you are lonely," I said to him.

"You ain't got to be sorry. I've been lonely my whole life. I just need food, man. I just need someone to talk to sometimes."

"Whenever I see you, sir, I'll always stop to talk to you."

I then shook his hand and left.

No comments: