Thursday, May 10

Reaching out Beyond our Worldview

When I think of the amount of traveling I've done in my life, I know that number is at least 500,000 miles. That's enough to travel around the Earth at the equator over 20 times. I hope I am able to quadruple that number before it is time for me to check out.

There was a fascinating video created in the 70's called "Powers of 10." The video showed, with great effects, just how many different magnitudes exist in our universe. I stumbled upon this remake on Youtube today and want to share it with you.



Although the video does not explore the microscopic realm, it does a great job in demonstrating just how small we are within the universe. It blows my mind to think that saying "I love you" to someone in a small 10 by 10 room has such an infinitesimal effect on the universe but such a large effect on the people within the room.

I also came across this video that shows how small our planet and home star are compared to Red Supergiants (the largest stars known within the observable universe).

Here's that video:

No comments: