Wednesday, August 1

Five Thousand Billion Trillion Quintrillion Experiences

How many moments in our lives would we define as an "experience?" What exactly is an "experience?" Can an experience be defined by a unit of time? Is it possible to have an experience last just one second that is more powerful than an experience that lasts for hours? Are experiences based in objective reality or are experiences based on a more personal and subjective reality?

On a more metaphysical level, I have often asked myself if objective reality even exists? I know that a wall will always cause me physical pain if I run towards it at full speed. All the believing in the world won't allow me to run through the wall, but quantum mechanics does suggest that there is a very very slim chance I could do just that. In fact, quantum particles "tunnel" through obstacles all the time. However, the "macro-world" is far different than the quantum one.

The "many worlds interpretation" of reality states that if an event is possible, it does occur but that all possible occurrences force the universe to branch off into an almost infinite amount of other universes that can account for all possibilities. If that were so, would all the concentration in the world force me into a universe where I win the lotto or can run through a wall?

I've often thought about quantum mechanics and how it could relate to love -- probably much too esoteric for most people to swallow over a nice dinner. What I have often wondered is whether MWI (Many Worlds Interpretation) and quantum mechanics can prove that true love exists. In some universe that constantly branches off into others, there does exist a copy of me that has carried on beautiful relationships with every one of my ex's. Statistically though, love is bound to die at some point. We all are forced away from one another through this constant branching and splitting of possibilities.

Yet, if MWI is real, why does my consciousness exist in these particular universes? If I would rather be with someone I once loved, why wouldn't my consciousness choose to follow those branches? Perhaps it is either because MWI is false or that consciousness is much more complex than we realize.

I did notice something though during a recent trip to New York City (which I will blog about at some point). I realized that experiences are the spice of life. We don't necessarily have to have permanence in our lives to enjoy the diversity of experiences. In fact, such a permanence might very well become detrimental to our growth. Let's face facts -- pain is horrible but a necessary condition for growth. Without pain, we would never understand another person's pain or suffering. Our pain makes us more compassionate and empathetic towards others. Pain also forces us to realize a contrast to pleasure. Quite simply, without suffering emotional and physical pain, we would never truly appreciate moments of blissful pleasures.

I also don't think love has to necessary be eternal -- but I do believe that we constantly experience aspects and facades of love to better understand how to love ourselves more completely. I do believe there will always be a wall, even if only a millimeter thick, between two lovers. No matter how close they feel that they have become, there will always remain some gap or distance between them -- and that gap is a part of the pain of being human. We think impure thoughts, lust inappropriately and contemplate the most hideous of things. This is a part of being human -- human nature. The important thing is learning not to act on those impulses, to rise above the animalistic instincts, and to show compassion towards others and remorse when we have erred.

At some point, I do believe everyone experiences a very intense moment. It may be fleeting or seem ever-lasting, but in the big scheme of things, it is only temporary. However, in that moment, we as humans experience an aspect of infinity. We cross the boundaries of every possible universe and swing across each moment in time and arrive at a singularity of intense passion and love. At some point in our lives, no matter how quick in time that moment is, we experience a greater and more uplifting experience that transcends mere emotions and forces us to accept that we are so very very small while so very very important.

No comments: