Sunday, August 5

Marriage and Catholic Weddings

My best friend got married yesterday. While in the wedding, I had to stand for a good hour while various portions of the ceremony played out. When I saw the bride start to walk down the isle, I was hit by an overwhelming amount of emotions.

"Pull yourself together, Jason! You're not even the one getting married!"


I have known Aaron since we were little kids. We have been through hell and back together, lived together for a few years, traveled to Amsterdam and London, been to countless parties -- Yadda yadda, but now he is married. I'm not sure I really understand it, but I am happy for him. It is strange that all of closest friends save for one are all married -- except me.

The father was a very intelligent man. We spent some time during the rehearsal dinner talking about the Schism, King George and anti-popes, etc. I myself am not Catholic but I do know quite a bit about the religion. Standing in the Loyola Alumni Chapel was impressive - it is a beautiful church. It was quite the experience.

Truthfully, I am not myself lately and I don't know why. Although I've had a great week (New York City with a good friend, countless parties, a wedding, etc.), I feel very disconnected from things. I believe part of that feeling stems from the fact that I am just exhausted, having averaged only a few hours of sleep per night over the past week.

My friend that I took to NYC flew home today. She is quite an amazing person. It has been quite a while since I've hung out with a woman who is genuine and up front without any pretense or bullshit. That was a relaxing change of pace from what I've been used to. She will be greatly missed.

No comments: