Saturday, February 24

Theme?

I need to push and prod my blog into more of a theme since it is quite random. I'll work on that, but first I need to think of a good theme that encompasses three different things (travel, women / sex, men's health?).

Last night was a fun night. I went downtown to Annapolis and hung out at Acme Bar and Grill. They have a nice motto in that bar, "Think Globally, drink locally." I've always thought that was cool and wanted to share it with you. I went solo but still had a great time. Without exageration, I probably know every bartender in Baltimore and Annapolis -- and many in Washington D.C. I've also gotten to the point where I bump into many of the same people when I go out, so I'm never really "alone."

I was sitting at the bar drinking and talking to the bartender when this girl next to me said, "would you like to do a shot with me?" This wasn't a fat and ugly chick, either -- this was probably an 8. I looked at her and said, "sure." At this point, I was in my winding down stage but one shot wouldn't kill me. She asked me what kind of shot I wanted and I told her to choose since she was the one to offer. Actually, I said I like surprises so go ahead and surprise me. She picked out some completely sour contrapetion that caused me to pucker up completely. Right after we did the shots, a guy came over and squeezed his way between the two of us and started talking to her. From her body language, I knew it wasn't someone she knew.

I debated on whether to say anything at this point to him. I thought the girl was very attractive but I wasn't in the mood to go home with anyone or even to get a girl's number -- I'm just not interested right now (maybe next week??). Then I started thinking from her perspective and, judging from her body language, it seemed like she was not having a good time with him there. So, I tapped him on the shoulder and just said, "are you getting a drink, buddy? I'm trying to talk to my girlfriend." (I lied, for her sake) He gave me this drunken look that screamed out, "I'm so drunk I don't know what I'm doing here." I sort of pushed him aside and turned back to her and jokingly said, "I saved you, you owe me now!"

She then started telling me about her job as a legal secretary and got very touchy-feely with me. I wanted to live in the moment, so I got a little touchy-feely back. She pulled her stool directly against mine and faced me and opened her legs so that each of her legs were on both sides of my stool with my legs in the middle -- talk about body language there! Obviously there was a strong "vibe" taking place. I actually started to get that "pre-woozy" high that one feels before the "magic feeling" begins.

One thing I've noticed that is really helpful when talking to someone is to really look into their eyes while they are talking about this and that. Not only does it draw two people deeper into conversation, but it also gives me a better ability to detect when someone is bullshitting me. As she talked, I looked into her eyes and noticed what I felt to be a lot of pain inside of her. I can't place how or why I knew this, but I just knew. The more I talked to her, the more I realized my initial hunch was correct. At this point, I could have taken complete advantage of her but I don't want to do those type of things anymore in my life. Instead, I purposely tried to put myself in her "friend's box" and let her pour out her problems on me so that she'd feel a little better before going home. Yes, I know -- this is completely opposite of what a guy is normally supposed to do.

However, I will say this. Listening to a stranger talk about her life and trying to help her from a completely neutral standpoint is amazing. The experience also gave me a chance to tell her about some issues that were going on in my life and to ask her what she thought of them. In a way, I completely busted through the ice and went straight into some of the most personal subjects. To my surprise, she remained touchy-feely throughout the conversation. At the end, she asked for my phone number (which I gave to her). In retrospect, I probably should not have done that. Then again, women never call when you give them your phone number so it really doesn't matter either way.

All in all, it was an interesting night. One of my best friends even started texting me quotes we shared years ago and I had to text back where the quote came from. I love my friends that make life so interesting. :)

No comments: